- We strive to provide complete care for our patients. Learn more about all the services we provide.
Cataracts Treatment & Management with Our Plano Optometry Team
Nobody wants to experience vision loss, especially as they grow older. If you're a senior American, then it's extremely important you visit your eye doctor on a regular basis. Our Plano optometry team has the skills and services necessary to help screen and/or treat you for a variety of age-related eye health conditions, including the eye health condition that is the leading cause of blindness worldwide--cataracts.
Cataracts occur when the lenses inside your eye (located just behind your pupil) becomes cloudy and opaque. This can impair the lenses' ability to refract (bend) light as it enters the eye, which is necessary for clear vision. This condition affects many people. In fact, it's the leading cause of vision loss in people over the age of 40, affecting as many as 22 million people or more in the United States alone.
Fortunately, treatment is available, and our optometry team can help--keep reading to learn more.
What Causes Cataracts?
One of the main causes associated with cataract development is aging. As we get older, the proteins within our ocular lenses may begin to lose their normal structure and clump together, forming a cloudiness in the lens. This protein restructuring is believed to be related to the cumulative effect of oxidative stress, which causes tissue damage.
There are several risk factors that might increase your likelihood of developing them. These include things like:
- Family history/genetics
- Chronic health conditions including diabetes, hypertension, and obesity
- Severe myopia (nearsightedness)
- History of eye injury and/or eye surgery
- History and/or prolonged use of certain medications, including statins, hormone replacements, and corticosteroids
- Excessive alcohol consumption
5 Signs That You May Have Cataracts
Pay attention to your eyesight, especially as you age. If you notice any of the following symptoms, you should schedule an appointment with your Plano optometrist right away, as these could be indicators of cataracts:
- Blurry and/or hazy vision (as if looking through a foggy window)
- Increased glare from bright light sources such as lamps and headlights
- The appearance of "halos" around bright light sources
- Colors begin to appear duller
- A cloudy appearance to the eye itself (the increasingly opaque lens can often be seen through the pupil)
Visiting an Optometrist Is Important If You're Living With Cataracts--Here's Why
A person can live with cataracts, especially if it is small enough so that it doesn't disrupt vision. That said, the most viable treatment is surgical removal and replacement with an artificial lens. As your Plano optometrist team, our eye doctors can provide both pre- and post-operative care in conjunction with your eye surgeon to ensure that your vision is as optimal as possible. We'll be sure to fit you with the correct prescription eyewear and educate you about things you can do to improve your eye health.
Do You or a Loved One Have Cataracts? Our Plano & Celina TX Optometrist Team Is Here To Help. Call today!
If you live near Plano, Celina, and other TX communities, then call our optometrist team today at Lone Star Vision Eye Care & Optical. To make an appointment call 972-378-4104
See a brighter future. Call today!